Monday, August 9, 2010

Contra istam "Historiam Brevem"

I recently parted company with Jim Giles and his Radio Free Mississippi forum because, after I had been invited to take charge of his forum and was made a "Super Moderator" of it, Giles posted on the front page something that I considered extremely irresponsible.  That was the anonymous work called A Brief History of the White Nationalist Movement.

Giles' position, based on the advice of somebody that he calls The General, was that this was a history that could be improved through some modifications.  My position is that the Brief History is not some good-faith effort at a history that just contains some errors that need to be corrected: it is fundamentally a work of defamation.  It contains what are clearly deliberate attacks on a number of well known White Nationalist personalities.

I am not opposed to airing a fraud as long as it is done with some care about not helping the deceiver.  In other words, I am not opposed to airing frauds if it is for the specific and immediate purpose of exposing them.

When I first glanced at the Brief History, to determine authorship I checked to see what it said about Ben Klassen, because a certain kind of nefarious attack on Ben Klassen is typical of longtime chronic defamer Harold A. Covington.  Sure enough, those attacks were there, marking the Brief History as probably his work.  For his own part, Covington has had this to say:

Tuesday, August 03, 2010


A Brief History of the White Nationalist Movement



[I apologize for this GUBU interjection. When I am accused of something by the Goat Dancers, if there is any substance to it at all, it is my policy to issue one definitive statement of the facts. After that, if anyone is not satisfied, they can go commit an unnatural and anatomically impossible act with themselves. This is such an occasion. - HAC]


About four years ago, if memory serves, a document entitled A Brief History of the White Nationalist Movement appeared on the internet. I believe it has also been hand-circulated in printed form as well.


I have been accused by the Usual Suspects of being the author of this document. This is untrue--well, not completely true, anyway. The facts are as follows:


The lengthy article or small book A Brief History of the White Nationalist Movement is divided into a number of parts or sections, each dealing with a particular movement, group, or individual personality in the Movement's past. These sections are basically "re-worked" and in some cases outright plagiarized from the written works of a large number of Movement authors and sources. These include the late Rick Cooper, Louis Beam, Bill White, Brad Davis, the late Andrew McCalden, Willis Carto, several SPLC reports, the Deguello Report, Gary Gallo, the National Alliance commentator "Maguire", Fred Streed (I think), and a number of other writers--including myself.


The document is essentially an anthology or compilation, and whoever compiled it had access to a lot of dusty old Movement gossip and archive stuff, including what must have been stacks and stacks of old pre-internet Movement publications and internal newsletters. My own archives are nowhere near that extensive, just a few file folders, in fact. I have moved around too often in the past 30 years to be lugging filing cabinets full of research material with me.


I will say this, though--whoever put this thing together knew his Movement beeswax. Whoever the unknown author/compiler is, he is definitely and for sure an "old hand."


I used to say that I could not spot a single significant factual error in the document, but after the recent flapdoodle about the Brief History, I sat down and read it over again, and I believe I have spotted one major error--Revisionist author Bradley Smith, referred to as "the late Bradley Smith" in the Brief History, is in fact still alive. I think I'm actually the first person to notice this.


Other than that, I can't take any major issue with the facts presented in the report. It is damning, and it is true, which is why periodically certain elements within the Movement re-discover it and go into a hissy fit over it, which is occurring as we speak. They cannot refute its contents.


The fact remains that the document has been online for four years now, and other than the Bradley Smith gaffe (which I say again, I seem to be the first one to point out) no one has been able to disprove anything in it.


Regarding my own unwitting participation, I concede that the section on Glenn Miller was lifted almost in toto from an article I wrote called L'Affaire Glenn Miller; that a lot of the Klassen material (although not all of it) is either plagiarized directly from my past writings or re-worked from my stuff; and that the Huey Long section is plagiarized from me as well.


I have no idea on earth who did in fact write (or compile) A Brief History of the White Nationalist Movement. I know several men who could have done it, in that they have the requisite background, access to archives or people who remember, and epistolary skill to write the report. However, I have no evidence that any of these men did write it.


If I had to conjecture, I'd say it's most likely someone closely affiliated with the National Alliance, unknown to me, but that is just an educated guess.


The world now has the truth, or such infinitesimal part of the world that gives a rat's ass. What you do with that truth is a matter of complete indifference to me.


-HAC

So, Harold Covington would have us believe that there is only one significant error in A Brief History of the White Nationalist Movement and that he could only guess who the anonymous author was, except that it was somebody who "knew his movement beeswax."  I already have compiled sufficient evidence that, if Harold Covington were an honest man, he would eat those words.  

The Brief History is peppered with gratuitous praise and no criticism of Harold Covington.  This omission of criticism is quite remarkable in a work heavily focused on revealing personal faults and vices, especially since there is no shortage of such material about Covington.  Also, he has been promoting the work for several years, for example on Martin Lindstedt's forum.  Covington mentions there that the work normally has to be sent out in six parts via e-mail, which implies that he has been doing that too.

The earliest appearances of the anonymous Brief History that I could find on internet were from 2007.  It can hardly be older than that, since it refers to "the late Rick Cooper," who died in November 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment